Building Australia and Contributing to a Better Tomorrow
In May 2013, Girl Guiding across Australia came together to create Building Australia and Contributing to a Better Tomorrow.
This document – designed to be released in time for the 2013 Federal Election, is a call to arms for all leaders across Australia to consider the needs of the future of our community.
The statement, which is signed off by all State Commissioners, State Executive Officers, the Chief Commissioner of Australia and National Executive Officer, has been sent out to some 250 leaders across Australia.
Importantly, the statement is based upon feedback from Australian Girl Guiding and contains 14 key action points on not only what is needed for Girl Guiding’s future, but all our futures.
Briefly, the document says that Girl Guides across Australia care about their community, their nation and their world.
The statement describes how Guiding in Australia provides girls and young women with opportunities to develop life skills, leadership and contribute back to their community.
The statement highlights that our 22,000 youth members across Australia:
- Want to see action on poverty and homelessness
- Are concerned about the natural environment and the impact of climate change
- Are taking action to empower girls and women in areas of education, health and personnel safety.
The statement then asks for our leaders to consider the following issues:
Support our World by
- Backing the UN’s Millennium Development Goals so that they are achieved
- Making sure that girls and young women are provided access to quality health care, education and live free from violence
- Taking action on climate change for the future of all of our community across the world
Futureproof our Volunteering Culture by
- Better planning and development of our volunteer workforce
- Providing leadership that builds the resilience of community organisations
- Positioning the future of volunteering as a national productivity issue
- Strategically connecting non-formal community based education with our national skills system
Understand and support Girls and Young Women by:
- Sponsoring leadership pathways for our future female leaders
- Valuing the issues and needs of Australian girls and young women through better research and policy dialogue
- Recognising outdoor adventure education as a key developmental strategy for girls to mature, develop resilience and appreciate risk
At its heart the statement shows that Girl Guides have taken time to think about what is important to us, the value of our ideas to our world and our community. The statement seeks to engage with our leadership on these ideas and welcomes the opportunity to be a part developing our common future.
To support understanding of the statement, GGA has produced a short video clip. GGA thanks our colleagues in GIrl Guides NSW & ACT and also the FanTAStic team who assisted in providing footage for this short video.
You can download your copy of the publication Girl Guide Australia Building Australia and Contributing to a Better World or, if you would like a hard copy sent to you please contact Girl Guides Australia on 02 9311 8000 or your State Girl Guiding Organisation.
Girl Guide Organisations across Australia would be delighted to speak to members of Girl Guides interested in knowing more about this statement, its distribution and use. Please feel free to contact the National Executive Officer at Girl Guides Australia or your local State Girl Guiding Organisation.
"Together we can change the World"