Helpful Information for Applicants
To register for an international event click on the GirlGuide Traveller button below.
How do I apply for an International Event?
- Check the event information on the State or National Girl Guides websites. Check that you are eligible e.g. age, any specific experience or qualifications and note the closing date.
- If you have any questions about the event, email your State International Manager (check your State website for her contact details) or National International Travel Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org, giving your name, age and contact details.
- Go to GirlGuide Traveller and create a login to begin your application. If you have applied for a previous event, please use your existing username and password. You do not need to complete your application in one sitting, so take your time, review your answers and ensure you save your application regularly by clicking on the “save” button at the bottom of each page.
- Contact your District Manager and/or your Region Manager who will talk to you about your application and the event as the first stage of the selection process. You will need your District and Region to support your application.
- Choose your referees carefully, tell them what you are applying for. They will be contacted personally. You will need 2 or 3 referees for your application depending upon the type of event, both Guiding and non-Guiding. Family members cannot be referees.
6. When you have completed all sections, click SUBMIT.
What happens next?
- Your application is assessed by your State International Manager who will contact your referees.
- The State International Manager organises a panel (no more than 2 people) to meet with you. They may also seek supporting evidence from other sources if needed.
- Applications are then referred to your State Commissioner for her approval.
- Applications are reviewed by the National International Committee who make the final selections from all the applicants based on the recommendations of your State.
- You will be notified by email by the National International Travel Consultant regarding the outcome of your application.
How to prepare for an event
- Following selection, further information about your event will be emailed to you. If a contingent is formed, you will be put in contact with your Contingent Leader.
- Check your Payments page to see when your fees are due and how to pay them.
- If anything changes, you can update your information at any time. eg: change of address/emergency contacts/passport, medical and dietary information.
- Respond in a timely manner to all correspondence from your Contingent Leader and other people assisting your preparations.
- Read Travel with Girl Guides. This document contains lots of important information. Refer to it frequently. If you have any questions or concerns please contact your Contingent Leader or contact email@example.com
- Research the country or countries that you are visiting. Find out as much as you can about Guiding in that country and the event you are attending.
How do I apply to Volunteer at a World Centre?
- Research volunteering at the World Centres on https://WAGGGS.org. Note the roles available, dates of volunteering and closing dates for applications. Note that the Australian closing date will be 3-4 weeks earlier than the WAGGGS date to enable the International Manager to complete the necessary checks and endorsement.
- Download the volunteer application forms (parts A and B) for your chosen World Centre
- Submit your completed forms to the National International Manager firstname.lastname@example.org before the Australian closing date for applications. The international Manager will check your application details. Once your application has been verified by your State Girl Guide Organisation, the National International Manager will endorse your application and will submit it to the World Centre on your behalf.
- The World Centre will acknowledge the receipt of your application by email.
- The World Centre will contact you to arrange an interview (often by Skype).
- After your interview, you will receive email notification from the World Centre of the outcome of your application. Note that the World Centres receive many applications and not all applications are accepted. You may also be offered something different from what you applied for.
- If you are accepted for a volunteering role, please forward your acceptance email to International@girlguides.org.au. The International Manager will ask you to register on GirlGuide Traveller. The International Travel Consultant email@example.com will then assist you with your travel preparations.
If you would like to learn more about volunteering then read Louise’s story on volunteering at Sangam.