Guide Lines for Applicants
How do I apply for an International Event?
- Check the event information on the State or National Girl Guides websites. Check that you are eligible e.g. age, any specific experience or qualifications and note the closing date.
- If you have any questions about the event, email your State International Manager (check your State website for her contact details) or National International Travel Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org, giving your name, age and contact details.
- Go to international.girlguides.org.au and create a login to begin your application. You do not need to complete your application in one sitting, so take your time, review your answers and ensure you save your application regularly by clicking on the “save” button at the bottom of each page.
- Contact your District Manager and/or your Region Manager who will talk to you about your application and the event as the first stage of the selection process. You will need your District and Region to support your application.
- Choose your referees carefully, tell them what you are applying for. They will be contacted personally. You will need 2 or 3 referees for your application depending upon the type of event, both Guiding and non-Guiding. Family members cannot be referees.
6. When you have completed all sections, click SUBMIT.
What happens next?
- Your application is assessed by the State International Manager who will contact your referees.
- The State International Manager organises a panel (no more than 2 people) to meet with you. They may also seek supporting evidence from other sources if needed.
- Applications are then referred to the State Commissioner for her approval.
- Applications are reviewed by the National International Committee who make the final selections from all the applicants.
- You will be notified by email by the National International Travel Consultant regarding your application.
How to prepare for an event
- Following selection, further information about your event will be emailed to you. If a contingent is formed, you will be put in contact with your Contingent Leader.
- Check your Payments page to see when your fees are due and how to pay them.
- If anything changes, you can update your information at any time. eg: change of address/emergency contacts/passport, medical and dietary information.
- Respond in a timely manner to all correspondence from your Contingent Leader and other people assisting your preparations.
5. Read Travel with Girl Guides. This is your Bible in the lead up to your event.